Scifest Africa 2019
How to book tickets
The 23rd edition of South Africa’s National Science Festival will be celebrated from 6-12 March 2019 in Grahamstown, Eastern Cape.
The theme “Discover your element” celebrates the International Year of the Periodic Table of Chemical Elements as proclaimed by the United Nations. The theme also celebrates several anniversaries in the history of chemistry including the 150th anniversary of the periodic table’s creation by Dmitri Mendeleev in 1869, 350 years since the discovery of phosphorus, the categorisation of 33 elements in 1789 by Lavoisier’s, and Döbereiner’s law of the triads in 1829. We, therefore, encourage you to unearth the characteristic elements of your field of science.
The 2018 festival attracted more than 62,000 visitors and offered a festival programme that consisted of 64 exhibitions and 701 events, presented by 291 contributors from 77 organisations in South Africa and the international STI sector. The national science festival received media coverage to the value of ZAR 3.7 million from 1 January – 31 March 2018.
Scifest Africa identifies and designs unique interactive events and educational resources with scientific integrity to advance science, facilitate learning in an informal and non-threatening way, and provide learners with an opportunity to discover science outside the classroom.
With continued support from the Department of Science and Technology, the festival makes science accessible to the public, encouraging parents and schools from across the country to bring learners to the event. Scifest Africa provides a platform for leading scientists, both locally and globally, to engage with the youth and inspire them to embark on careers in science and become leaders in these fields.
Click here to be redirected to the festival registration page.
Rhodes University Quiz
The quiz, comprised of a Junior High School Category (Grade 8-10) and Senior High School Category (Grade 11-12), is open to three (3) learners per team from high schools (maximum three teams per category per school).
Each quiz will consist of two rounds, namely a qualification round in the form of a written quiz completed by teams at their school on Friday, 8 February 2019, and a final round, which will see the top four teams in each category travel to the National Science Festival on Monday, 11 March 2019. Great prizes are up for grabs, including a one-year scholarship (tuition only) to Rhodes University for each member of the winning team in the Senior High School Category.
Both the entry form and entry fee amount of R30.00 per team must be received by 16h00 on Friday, 1 February 2019. Click here to download the official Letter and Entry Form
Do you have what it takes to create an haute couture masterpiece? Use the material provided to create an item that will remembered by the masses as “ingenius” for highlighting the significance of recycling waste material that negatively affects our environment. Join us… create… impact… start a trend… channel your inner styliste modéliste!
Download the registration form for designers here
Scifriend Work Schedule
- Once you have seen what is on offer, click on the following link www.tickethut.co.za/scifest/ where you will find the simple four-step process to register, book and pay for your tickets, outlined in detail under TICKET INFORMATION at the bottom of the home page.
- TicketHut allows you to select from the drop down menus provided or BROWSE SCIFEST 2019 by date, or SEARCH & BOOK where you can select a date on which you want to attend the festival along with multiple genres simultaneously to broaden your festival experience.
- The system will allow you to select an event, add it to your basket, register, check out and pay.
- To add tickets to your booking, simply login using your username and password and book your tickets by following Steps 1 and 2.
- You will receive an email confirming your online booking
SPACE IS LIMITED. Tickets will be issued on a first come, first served basis. Book early to avoid disappointment!
- Download and complete the Pre-Booking Form and Visitor Registration Form from the website: www.scifest.org.za by clicking on THE FESTIVAL tab. Email or fax completed forms at firstname.lastname@example.org or 086 233 2122
- Contact the TicketHut call centre on 0860 002 004. The call centre will assign you a reference number which must be quoted in all correspondence.
- Make a record of all the tickets you require using the daily programmes that appear at the start of each section centre on 0860 002 004 to book your tickets over the telephone.
- Your tickets will be temporary reserved and the total price agreed upon.
- You will receive an email or fax confirming your booking.
- Please note that telephonic bookings close at 17h00 on 1 March 2019. Tickets can still be purchased online, or at the Booking Office in the Monument until the end of the festival.
Make a full payment by credit card, EFT, or by depositing cash into the National Arts Festival Grahamstown NPC’s bank account as follows:
Bank name : Standard Bank
Branch name : Grahamstown
Branch code : 050917
Account number : 081 985 002
Reference : SCIF and your reference number
Send proof of payment by email or fax to TicketHub using the contact details provided above.
Check out our 2019 poster! “Discover your element!”